Социология COMPREHENSION EXERCISES просмотров - 54
I. Reread the text and answer the following questions.
1) How can you prove that social interaction and social structure are central to sociological study? 2) Why do we have to reconstruct, redefine and sometimes reshape social reality? 3) Why is it important to understand that negotiations are not merely an aspect of social interaction? 4) What elements make up the social structure of a society? 5) How can you account for the fact that a person may hold several statuses? 6) Why are social roles a significant component of social structure? 7) Why do groups play a vital part in a society's structure too? 8) What social institutions are described in this text? 9) Why has it become fashionable to attack the social institutions in recent years?
II. Define the following key terms and memorize the definitions:
social interaction, social structure, negotiation, status, ascribed status, achieved status, master status, social role, social group, social institutions.
III. Speak on social interaction, social reality and the elements of social structure in brief and illustrate your reports withsituations and examples of your own.
IV. Speak about the status and its kinds, the social role and the social group using your own experience to illustrate these sociological terms.
V. Speak about the social institutions and different perspectives used by sociologists to view them. Which of these perspectives do you share and accept? Why?
VI. Comment on the table given in the text and develop the ideas introduced in it.
VII. Comment on the following statements and give your reasons for or against them:
1) We can add negotiations to our list of cultural universals. 2) Race and gender are given such importance in our society that they often dominate one's life. 3) Social roles contribute to a society's stability. 4) Much of our social interaction and behavior is influenced and conditioned by the social groups we belong to. 5) The present organization of social institutions is no accident and the outcome of this organization is not necessarily efficient and desirable because it often permits and promotes the inequality of a society's members. 6) We should not forget that people depend on social institutions for stability and guarantees from chaos.
VIII. Speak about the social reality and the social structure of the Russian society. Have they any distinctive characteristics that differ our society from the others? Can you suggest any changes that we should negotiate toreshape our reality? How do the Russian social institutions affect our dailylife? Do they help any members of our society (whom?) to maintain their privileges (which ones?) and do they contribute to the powerlessness of others?
1. Consult a dictionary and practise the pronunciation of the following words. Pay attention to the stresses: conscientious, photograph, anonymous, antithesis, ambiguous, homogeneous, megalomania, coincidence, cleavage, languorous, incisive, psychic, itinerary. 2. Read out the passage beginning with "For the first time..." up to TB show it to somebody, he thought" using proper tone groups and observing the rhythm. Convey proper attitudes and all the phonetic phenomena... [читать подробенее]
1. Consult a dictionary and practise the pronunciation of the following words: dewy, meadow, cartoon, Captain Kangaroo, episode, mass media, influential, environment, catalogue, brochure, credulous, sophisticated, deliberate, addictive, subtle, vicious, altruistic, stimulate, control, advertise, permissible, digest, identify, abbreviate, programme, persuasively, agency, intellect, design, available, intricate, isolate, giant, conglomerate, audio, contribute, charitable. 2. Practise... [читать подробенее]
1. a) Consult a dictionary and transcribe the following words from the text. Practise their pronunciation paying attention to stresses: unanimous, corroborative, appreciation, naked, aridity, iota, subsequent, contraband, sheriff, circumstantial, persevering, unmitigated, aisle, exit, caliber, perspire, distaff, executive, inferiority, gavel, conduct (v, n), minute, indict, loosen. b) Listen to your partners' reading of the above exercise. Correct their mistakes. 2. Read out the... [читать подробенее]
Additional Vocabulary 1. regular ['regjul&... [читать подробенее]
Additional Vocabulary 1. materials science - материаловедение 2. engineering [,end&... [читать подробенее]
Joint - соединение, стык, шов Bond - перевязка кирпичной кладки, тип кладки, рисунок на поверхности стены Header - тычок кирпича, кирпичной кладки Stretcher - ложок кирпича Brick laying - ведение кирпичной кладки 8. course [k&... [читать подробенее]
I. Reread the text and answer the following questions: 1) What is education if viewed as an aspect of socialization? 2) What is the functionalist view on education? 3) What are the functions of education in modern society? 4) How can you prove that there are the conservative functions of education? 5) Can education bring about desired social change? 6) What is the conflict perspective on education? 7) What factors prove that education maintains social class differences? 8) Why are... [читать подробенее]
I. Reread the text and answer the following questions. 1) How can you prove that social interaction and social structure are central to sociological study? 2) Why do we have to reconstruct, redefine and sometimes reshape social reality? 3) Why is it important to understand that negotiations are not merely an aspect of social interaction? 4) What elements make up the social structure of a society? 5) How can you account for the fact that a person may hold several statuses? 6) Why are social... [читать подробенее]
I. Reread the text and answer the following questions. 1) What research techniques do sociologists regularly use to generate data? 2) What is considered to be the classic method of conducting an experiment? 3) What problems does the sociologist face in conducting participant observation research? 4) What are the advantages of an interview and a questionnaire? 5) What basic techniques of unobtrusive measurement do you know? 6) Are different research designs viewed as mutually exclusive? 7)... [читать подробенее]
VOCABULARY PRACTICE I. Read and translate the text using a dictionaryif necessary. II. Find In the text the English equivalents of the following: человеческое общество, иметь общее наследие, ценности, передавать из поколения в поколение, если бы не, пройти долгий путь развития, значительные успехи в культуре, несмотря на... [читать подробенее]