Социология COMPREHENSION EXERCISES просмотров - 47
I. Reread the text and answer the following questions:
1) What is education if viewed as an aspect of socialization? 2) What is the functionalist view on education? 3) What are the functions of education in modern society? 4) How can you prove that there are the conservative functions of education? 5) Can education bring about desired social change? 6) What is the conflict perspective on education? 7) What factors prove that education maintains social class differences? 8) Why are educational inequalities evident in many nations around the world? 9) How do interactionist theorists view education? 10) How can you prove that education has become a vast and complex social institution throughout the world? 11) Speak on education as viewed from different sociological perspectives. Which of them do you share? Give your arguments for or against.
III. Describe the educational system in Russia and its distinctive features employing the ideas and terms from the text.
IV. Comment on the following topics thinking like sociologists.
1) Public versus private schooling. Are you for or against it? 2) Tracking students into curriculum groups. What about tracking talented and gifted students into curriculum groups? 3) A teacher-expectancy impact. Do you accept or question the validity of this «Pygmalion effect»? Were there «Pygmalion's in the classroom» among your school teachers?
V. Express your opinion:
a) of the education you got at school: its level, school facilities, teachers and administrators. Are you proud of your school? Were your school years happy?
b) of the education you are getting at Ivanovo State Power University. Does the РИТМ* technology truly promote good academic teaching, encourage student creative thought and develop students' aspirations? What do you think of its emphasis on precise and constant current control of students' actual achievements in studies?
* Система РИТМ — the Individual Creative Thinking Development Technology, introduced by the University Academic Council in 1987.
1. Consult a dictionary and practise the pronunciation of the following words. Pay attention to the stresses: conscientious, photograph, anonymous, antithesis, ambiguous, homogeneous, megalomania, coincidence, cleavage, languorous, incisive, psychic, itinerary. 2. Read out the passage beginning with "For the first time..." up to TB show it to somebody, he thought" using proper tone groups and observing the rhythm. Convey proper attitudes and all the phonetic phenomena... [читать подробенее]
1. Consult a dictionary and practise the pronunciation of the following words: dewy, meadow, cartoon, Captain Kangaroo, episode, mass media, influential, environment, catalogue, brochure, credulous, sophisticated, deliberate, addictive, subtle, vicious, altruistic, stimulate, control, advertise, permissible, digest, identify, abbreviate, programme, persuasively, agency, intellect, design, available, intricate, isolate, giant, conglomerate, audio, contribute, charitable. 2. Practise... [читать подробенее]
1. a) Consult a dictionary and transcribe the following words from the text. Practise their pronunciation paying attention to stresses: unanimous, corroborative, appreciation, naked, aridity, iota, subsequent, contraband, sheriff, circumstantial, persevering, unmitigated, aisle, exit, caliber, perspire, distaff, executive, inferiority, gavel, conduct (v, n), minute, indict, loosen. b) Listen to your partners' reading of the above exercise. Correct their mistakes. 2. Read out the... [читать подробенее]
Additional Vocabulary 1. regular ['regjul&... [читать подробенее]
Additional Vocabulary 1. materials science - материаловедение 2. engineering [,end&... [читать подробенее]
Joint - соединение, стык, шов Bond - перевязка кирпичной кладки, тип кладки, рисунок на поверхности стены Header - тычок кирпича, кирпичной кладки Stretcher - ложок кирпича Brick laying - ведение кирпичной кладки 8. course [k&... [читать подробенее]
I. Reread the text and answer the following questions: 1) What is education if viewed as an aspect of socialization? 2) What is the functionalist view on education? 3) What are the functions of education in modern society? 4) How can you prove that there are the conservative functions of education? 5) Can education bring about desired social change? 6) What is the conflict perspective on education? 7) What factors prove that education maintains social class differences? 8) Why are... [читать подробенее]
I. Reread the text and answer the following questions. 1) How can you prove that social interaction and social structure are central to sociological study? 2) Why do we have to reconstruct, redefine and sometimes reshape social reality? 3) Why is it important to understand that negotiations are not merely an aspect of social interaction? 4) What elements make up the social structure of a society? 5) How can you account for the fact that a person may hold several statuses? 6) Why are social... [читать подробенее]
I. Reread the text and answer the following questions. 1) What research techniques do sociologists regularly use to generate data? 2) What is considered to be the classic method of conducting an experiment? 3) What problems does the sociologist face in conducting participant observation research? 4) What are the advantages of an interview and a questionnaire? 5) What basic techniques of unobtrusive measurement do you know? 6) Are different research designs viewed as mutually exclusive? 7)... [читать подробенее]
VOCABULARY PRACTICE I. Read and translate the text using a dictionaryif necessary. II. Find In the text the English equivalents of the following: человеческое общество, иметь общее наследие, ценности, передавать из поколения в поколение, если бы не, пройти долгий путь развития, значительные успехи в культуре, несмотря на... [читать подробенее]