Менеджмент Exercise 3 просмотров - 99
Join each of the following pairs of sentences, using either a present or a perfect participle. Translate the new sentences into Russian.
Model: She hoped to find a will. She searched it everywhere.
Hoping to find the will, she searched it everywhere
1. I knew that he was poor. I offered to pay his fare.
2. She became tired of my complaints about the plan. She turned it off.
3. She asked me to help. She realised that she couldn’t move it alone.
4. He thought he must have made a mistake somewhere. He went through his calculations again.
5. She saw that she could trust him absolutely. She gave him a blank cheque.
6. The government once tried to tax people according to the size of their houses. They put a tax on windows.
7. They announced the new plan (yesterday). They admitted that it was the worst economic settlement they’d ever had.
8. I spelled a word to an English-speaking person on the phone. I used the official Post Office alphabetical code.
Model: The criminal removed all traces of his crime. He left the building.
Having removed all traces of his crime the criminal left the building.
1. He had spent all his money. He decided to go home and ask for a job.
2. They found the money. They began quarrelling about how to divide it.
3. He returned from a business trip. He felt exhausted by his work.
4. Hector Grant was persuaded by the Sales Manager. Hector Grant opened up a new export Market in Abraca.
5. I failed the exam twice. I agreed that I was not at subject.
6. The manager increasedsales by almost twenty per cent. The manager decided to plough the profit into his business.
7. He was warned about the audit. He prepared the monthly statements of account.
8. General Mohammed studied the proposal. He invited Eduardo de Silveira to visit Nigeria as his guest.
3. What forms of participles do we use in the negative meaning?
· If participle I is used in the function of adverbial modifier of cause,
we’ll have the following negative form of the participle:
|Not having opened a deposit account a customer can’t earn any interest. (= as he didn’t open a deposit account )||Не открыв депозитный счет, клиент не может получать проценты.|
· In the function of adverbial modifier of manner we should use Gerund
in the negative meaning.
|He left the room without saying a word to anybody.||Он вышел из комнаты, не сказав никому ни слова.|
Choose “not”or “without”in the given sentences. Define the function of the participles in the sentences.
Model:Without / not having a signature on the payment order we
couldn’t execute payment.
1. Not / without knowing all the details, he couldn’t consult her.
2. Not / without making an exceptionally high profit you won’t be criticised.
3. Not/ without being guilty he didn’t feel his fault.
4. Not / without having been instructed by the manager of the firm, they insisted on the reduction of the financial backing of the company.
5. You won’t manage to strike a balance not / without participating in the bank’s money policy committee.
6. Depository institutions can’t worknot / without offering their customers the opportunity to pay recurring bills by telephone.
7. John sat not / without speaking to anybody and looked very worried.
8. The annual simple interest states how much money the bank will pay on a deposit at the end of one year not / without compounding.
9. Not / without having their own lorries they couldn’t keep the budget.
10. Not / without having placed the order with the firm, they won’t receive a quotation to supply office furniture.
11. Not / without having a capacity to produce the order, they refused to take it in addition to the budgeted turnover.
12. It’s natural that Coburn will be reluctant to ship $400,000 worth of gears not / withoutfirst having some assurance they will get paid.
4. When do we use the perfect participle passive?
having been + past part
It is used when it is necessary to emphasise that the action expressed by the participle happened before the action expressed by the next verb:
1. Complete the sentences with the verb in the correct form: Present Simple, Future Simple Tenses. Watch tadpoles grow 16) If you look in a pond, you ..... (see) in a shallow water great lumps of jelly. That ..... (be) frog's spawn. Mother frog ..... (lay) up to 800 eggs. Don't think she ..... ( take) care of them. She ...... ( leave) them, floating on the surface to look after themselves as soon as the eggs are laid. Then in a few days if you look at an egg you ..... ( notice) a black spot,... [читать подробенее]
1. Put in a\an or the where necessary. ..…Britain, in which ... fifty million people live and work, is,.. land of... great variety. There are many large cities, but they are surrounded with ... quiet countryside. There are ... plains in ... east, hills in... center and south-west, and ... mountains in ... north. Some parts of ... country are almost without ... trees while others have ... great forests, ... south is ... land of... rivers, but Scotland is... land of ... lakes. One of ...... [читать подробенее]
1. Complete the sentences with the verb in the correct form: Present Simple, Present Perfect, Past Simple Tense. INTERFERON Virus diseases …..( plague) mankind for thousands of years, but, until recently, no medical treatment for them …..( be) available. Although the use of vaccines almost …..(eliminate) several major viral diseases, such as polio and smallpox, medical research …..( provide) no means for treating virus diseases already established in the body. No drugs …..( be)... [читать подробенее]
Exercise 9. Match the adjectives from the line with the definitions. Exercise 7. Name the traits of character suggested by the following. Say which, in your opinion, are good, and which are bad, and why. A person: 1. takes little interest in his or her appearance; 2. shows great interest in one's appearance; 3. is always well-dressed; 4. wears loud clothes; 5. has neatly-parted hair and clean shoes; 6. works carefully and accurately; 7. never leaves a job half-done; 8. works hard; 9.... [читать подробенее]
C. Match the word with its definition. (mist and fog) B. Match the word with its definition. (warm, hot weather) Exercise 7. A. Find the definitions for the underlined words. (cold weather) In Scandinavia, the chilly days of autumn soon change to the cold days of winter. The first frosts arrive and the roads become icy. Rain becomes sleet and then snow, at first turning to slush in the streets, but soon settling, with severe blizzards and snowdrifts in the far north. Freezing... [читать подробенее]
C. about the Picture Gallery at Christ Church B. about the Bate Collection of Musical Instruments A. about the Museum of the History of Science Exercise 6. Say whether these sentences are true or false and explain why. 1. The Museum houses an unrivalled collection of paintings. 2. The Museum is well known by virtue of the collection and its building. 3. The Museum is not a department of the University of Oxford. 4. The objects of the Museum are available for study... [читать подробенее]
Exercise 6. Form comparative and superlative degrees of the adjectives. 1. large 2. small 3. big 4. hot 5. cold 6. long 1. ocean A. piece of land completely surrounded by water 2. island B. the most important city or town of a country or region, usually its seat of government and administrative centre 3. area C. the great mass of salt water that covers most of the Earth's surface 4. city D. a very small settlement in the countryside 5. town E. a particular part... [читать подробенее]
Hola Ferrari Evian IBM AGFA Philips Carlsberg IKEA BBC 1 Olympic Pravda Aker AS Istambul Nokia Denmark Norway France Holland Spain Finland USA Britain Turkey Russia Germany Greece Italy Sweden furniture retailer newspaper computer company beer electronics company industrial company mineral water seaport airline car manufacturer photographic company mobile phone company weekly magazine television... [читать подробенее]
Exercise 5. Who of the people from the list said or meant the following. B. makes it worse. A. improves our life Exercise 2. Say whether these sentences are true or false and explain why. 1. People never wanted to communicate from afar. 2. People have used birds to get a message from one point to another. 3. Francis Bacon predicted the telephone in his book New Utopia. 4. A real telephone could be invented only at the electrical age. 5. The telephone was invented... [читать подробенее]
Exercise 5. Discussion Exercise 3. Say whether these sentences are true or false and explain why. Exercise 2. Answer the following questions. Exercise 1. Write down all the nationalities mentioned in the UNIT. Write down one thing about each nationality that you can remember. EXERCISES1. Which nationalities are the most and least punctual? 2. Why did the British think that everyone understood their customs? 3. Which nationalities do not like to eat and do business at... [читать подробенее]