Менеджмент EXERCISES просмотров - 86
A past activity or situation.
THE PAST SIMPLE TENSE.
Look at the situations below. Write something you can say in each situation.
Offering to help.
Talking about a fixed arrangement.
Deciding to get married.
A: ___ you many me, Julie?
B: Of course I ___,Frank.
A: ___ ___ ___ get married!
A: We haven't decided yet
A: Have you heard the news! We've fixed a date. ___ ___ married
on the 5th of August!
A: Have you got a photographer arranged yet?
B: Er, no. We haven't.
A: ___ take some photos during the wedding if you like.
A: Are you looking forward to Frank and Julie's wedding?
B: Oh, yes. I'm sure ___ be a lovely day.
A: Hmm. I think ___ ___ ___ be rather disorganized, actually.
They haven’t prepared anything yet and the wedding's this weekend.
A: What time is it?
B: Don’t worry. It's only 930.
A: But me wedding ___ at 11.00! And the flowers haven’t arrived yet!
1. Someone is carrying some heavy bags. Offer to help him/her.
2. Say when your next English lesson is.
3. Talk about your plans for this weekend.
4. Talk about your next holiday.
5. promise to meet a friend.
6. Someone offers you a drink. Decide what to have.
7. Say when you start work tomorrow.
8. Say how you intend to improve your English.
9. You see your dog running in he middle of a road full of fast cars. What do you say?
The use of the Past Simple:
Last month, the company results were much better. They installed new
machinery in the factory. Costs fell and productivity rose. Sales
increased by ten per cent.
I lived in Italy when I was a child.
The new Production Manager started last week.
Where did you stay?
Why didn’t you phone me on Monday?
He didn’t like classical music when he was younger.
He went to France for his holiday last year.
Susan bought a new car in January.
Did you have a good trip to Paris?
James didn't come to the meeting yesterday.
They didn't have time to finish the report.
He was ill yesterday so he didn’t go to his office.
Useful time phrases with the past:
last Monday, last week, last year, yesterday, in July, in 1998, two weeks ago.
Complete the sentences as in the example by putting the verb in brackets into the correct form.
The sales meeting is usually in Manchester. Last week, it was in Birmingham. (be)
1. He works for Siemens.
Two years ago, he ___ for Digital. (work)
2. He usually goes to London on Wednesdays.
Last Wednesday, he ___ to Manchester. (go)
3. Production costs go up every year.
Last year, production costs ___. (go up)
4. I usually buy a new Ford every two years.
Last year, I ___ an Opel. (buy)
5. He usually meets the clients at their office.
Last week, he ___ me clients at his office. (meet)
Use the words below to write questions about the past.
1. The new Financial Director started on Wednesday. (When?)
2. They launched the new product last week. (When?)
3. You went to Spain on holiday last year. (Where?)
4. He travelled to Paris by car. (How?)
5. He stayed there for two weeks. (How long?)
6. She had steak for dinner. (What?)
Use the verbs below to complete the paragraph. Remember to put the verbs into the Past Simple.
advertise, increase, be, develop, employ, become, start, rise.
The company (1) ___ in 1970. They (2) ___ a product for cleaning car windows. At first, it (3) ___ difficult to enter the market but they (4) ___ the product in newspapers and magazines. It soon (5) ___ a great success. In 1975, they (6) ___ more staff and (7) ___ production. A year later, profits (8) ___. The company is now one of the most successful of its land.
Put the following verbs into the correct form in the passage below.
return, attend, live, be, leave, get, travel, work, teach, become, study, go.
Maria Gonzales was born in Spain in 1950. She (1) ___ in Madrid with her family when she (2) ___ a child and (3) ___ to school there. When she (4) ___ school, she (5) ___ English at the university and later (6) ___ a language teacher. She (7) ___ English in Spain for two years and then (8) ___ to the United States where she (9) ___ an American college. When she (10) ___ to Europe, she (11) ___ a job in England where she (12) ___ until 1990.
1. Complete the sentences with the verb in the correct form: Present Simple, Future Simple Tenses. Watch tadpoles grow 16) If you look in a pond, you ..... (see) in a shallow water great lumps of jelly. That ..... (be) frog's spawn. Mother frog ..... (lay) up to 800 eggs. Don't think she ..... ( take) care of them. She ...... ( leave) them, floating on the surface to look after themselves as soon as the eggs are laid. Then in a few days if you look at an egg you ..... ( notice) a black spot,... [читать подробенее]
1. Put in a\an or the where necessary. ..…Britain, in which ... fifty million people live and work, is,.. land of... great variety. There are many large cities, but they are surrounded with ... quiet countryside. There are ... plains in ... east, hills in... center and south-west, and ... mountains in ... north. Some parts of ... country are almost without ... trees while others have ... great forests, ... south is ... land of... rivers, but Scotland is... land of ... lakes. One of ...... [читать подробенее]
1. Complete the sentences with the verb in the correct form: Present Simple, Present Perfect, Past Simple Tense. INTERFERON Virus diseases …..( plague) mankind for thousands of years, but, until recently, no medical treatment for them …..( be) available. Although the use of vaccines almost …..(eliminate) several major viral diseases, such as polio and smallpox, medical research …..( provide) no means for treating virus diseases already established in the body. No drugs …..( be)... [читать подробенее]
Exercise 296. Choose the appropriate variant. 1. … get up after the operation yet? a) Is he allowed to b) Can he c) Might he 2. The trip by train lasted for a week! They … exhausted by now! a) had better b) can c) must 3. Percy … watered my cyclamen, look, it’s dying. a) didn’t have to b) needn’t have c) might have 4. You … be at the airport 2 hours ahead of time, otherwise you will have problems with registration. a) are to b) have to c) must 5. I … hear... [читать подробенее]
Exercises to the lead-in section and the text (Upstream Intermediate, pp.6 – 7) I. Use the dictionary and see the pictures on the next page to find out the differences between the following types of buildings. Get ready to explain them to the class: 1. a bungalow 2. a terraced house BrE / row house AmE 3. a semi-detached house BrE / duplex AmE 4. a detached house 5. a block of flats BrE / an apartment building AmE 6. a cottage 7. a ranch house II. Learn the pronunciation... [читать подробенее]
work n работа, труд manual (intellectual) work физический (умственный) труд to erase distinctions between manual and intellectual work стереть различия между физическим и умственным трудом Z zone n зона; пояс a time zone часовой пояс a climatic zone климатический пояс the Non-Black Earth Zone Нечерноземная... [читать подробенее]
C capacity n мощность annual capacity to have a capacity (with a capacity) of 2,000,000 kilowatts годовая производительность иметь мощность (мощностью) в 2 000 000 киловатт. (public) catering n общественное питание a catering institution/establishment предприятие общественного питания census n перепись населения to take... [читать подробенее]
She was sent to the neighbouring republic of Uzbekistan to continue her education. There, in Tashkent, under a decree signed by Lenin, the first state university in Central Asia had been opened in 1920. Tajibayeva joined its geological department. She was in Tashkent when the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945 broke out. She attended lectures in the morning and nursed the wounded in the hospitals at night. In 1943 Patchaim Tajibayeva graduated from the University with honours. She was thinking... [читать подробенее]
UNIT FIFTEEN THE SOVIET UNION TODAY Topics and Texts for Discussion* V. I. Lenin, the founder of the first socialist state. The Great October Socialist Revolution, a turning point in the history of mankind. The USSR, a voluntary union of free nations. The new Constitution of the USSR. Fundamental human rights guaranteed to Soviet citizens. The Soviet socialist way of life. Large-scale construction in the USSR. Contribution of Komsomol members to the economic development of the country. The... [читать подробенее]
Text 1. From the history of Belarus Additional texts for reading Exercises 1. Replace the following definitions by one word from text 3: – land along each side of a river or canal; – things, circumstances, surroundings, that make life easy or pleasant; – a part of a town or a country marked out for a special purpose; – to be shut in on all sides; – buildings and equipment of an institution, factory; – buildings where goods are made (esp. by... [читать подробенее]