Менеджмент EXERCISES просмотров - 125
The use of the Present Simple.
CHAPTER I THE PRESENT SIMPLE TENSE
Klaus Schmidt is a Sales Manager. He often gives presentations to
prospective clients and regularly attends sales meetings in other
countries. In his free time, he plays tennis and listens to music.
They increase their prices every year.
Jane sometimes goes to work by train.
He doesn’t travel abroad very often.
"Do they ever play football?" "Yes, they do."
How often does the sales team meet?
We always send copies of me report to the Managing Director.
2) General facts / truths.
A good manager tells his staff what to do, but also listens to their
The sun rises in the East,
In England most shops close at 5.30 p. m.
He works for BMW.
His parents don't like pop music.
What does this word mean?
3) Future schedules.
The train leaves at 12.00 and arrives at 13-00.
The meeting begins at 10.00.
What time does the plane leave?
We arrive in Edinburgh at 11.00 and then visit the castle.
Put the verbs in brackets into the correct form:
The factory opensat 8 a.m. every day. (open)
How much does the product cost? (cost)
The company does not export its productsto Japan. (not / export)
1. We ___ prices in January every year. (increase)
2. Mr. Stevenson ___ abroad very often. (travel)
3. The company ___ furniture. (produce)
4. Who __ you ___ for? (work)
5. Some small businesses ___to expand too quickly. (try)
6. He always ___ to work by train. (go)
7. How often ___ you ___ reports? (write)
8. What time ___ the train ___ ? (leave)
9. Jane and David ___ at weekends. (not / work)
10. He ___ English. (not/speak)
Use these sentences to make questions. Begin the questions with the word in brackets.
The machine breaks down. (How often?) How often does the machine break down?
1. You begin work in the morning. (What time?)
2. The Managing Director makes presentations. (How often?)
3. John works. (Where?)
4. You leave the office. (When?)
5. He reads a newspaper. (Which?)
6. They travel abroad. (How often?)
7. He checks me sales figures. (When?)
8. You have lunch with your clients. (Where?)
9. The film starts. (What time?)
10. You listen to music. (What kind?)
You are telling a colleague about the programme for next week's conference. Put the verbs into correct form in the passage below. (Use the Present Simple for future schedules).
The conference (1) ___ (begin) at nine. It (2) ___ (start) with an introductory session and (3) ___ (continue) with a talk about sales performance. After that, we (4) ___ (divide) into small groups and (5) ___ (discuss) various points. The discussion (6) ____ (continue) after lunch. After that, there is a plenary session which the Sales Director (7) ___ (lead). The first day (8) ___ (finish) at around six.
Look at the quiz below. Work in pairs or groups and answer the questions.
1. I answer the phone and type letters. What is my job?
2. Which is correct? The sun goes round the earth or the earth goes round the sun?
3. Maria comes from South America but she doesn’t speak Spanish. What nationality is she?
4. You work for a multinational company. This company produces chocolate, coffee, baby milk and many other things. Who do you work for?
5. This machine does the washing up. What is its name?
6. Some of the men in this country wear skirts, called kilts. Where do they live?
7. It flies from Paris to New York in 3.5 hours. What is it?
8. This city has two parts, with the river in the middle. The names of the two parts make the name of the city. Its name begins with B.
9. Some people use them for writing documents, but most people don't use them any more - they prefer to use computers. What are these objects?
10. How long does it take Eurostar (the Channel Tunnel train) to travel from London to Paris?
11. It rings or buzzes when it's time to wake up. What is the name of this object?
12. We manufacture and sell luxury cars. We also make plane engines. Who are we?
Be careful! Some verbs are not regular. Look at the quiz again. Fill each gap in the sentences below. Use the correct form of the verb.
1. (buzz) It rings or ___ when it's time to wake up.
2. (fly) It ___ from Paris to New York in 3.5 hours.
3. (go) The earth ___ round the sun.
4. (do) This machine ___ the washing up.
5. (have) This city ___ two parts.
1. Complete the sentences with the verb in the correct form: Present Simple, Future Simple Tenses. Watch tadpoles grow 16) If you look in a pond, you ..... (see) in a shallow water great lumps of jelly. That ..... (be) frog's spawn. Mother frog ..... (lay) up to 800 eggs. Don't think she ..... ( take) care of them. She ...... ( leave) them, floating on the surface to look after themselves as soon as the eggs are laid. Then in a few days if you look at an egg you ..... ( notice) a black spot,... [читать подробенее]
1. Put in a\an or the where necessary. ..…Britain, in which ... fifty million people live and work, is,.. land of... great variety. There are many large cities, but they are surrounded with ... quiet countryside. There are ... plains in ... east, hills in... center and south-west, and ... mountains in ... north. Some parts of ... country are almost without ... trees while others have ... great forests, ... south is ... land of... rivers, but Scotland is... land of ... lakes. One of ...... [читать подробенее]
1. Complete the sentences with the verb in the correct form: Present Simple, Present Perfect, Past Simple Tense. INTERFERON Virus diseases …..( plague) mankind for thousands of years, but, until recently, no medical treatment for them …..( be) available. Although the use of vaccines almost …..(eliminate) several major viral diseases, such as polio and smallpox, medical research …..( provide) no means for treating virus diseases already established in the body. No drugs …..( be)... [читать подробенее]
Exercise 296. Choose the appropriate variant. 1. … get up after the operation yet? a) Is he allowed to b) Can he c) Might he 2. The trip by train lasted for a week! They … exhausted by now! a) had better b) can c) must 3. Percy … watered my cyclamen, look, it’s dying. a) didn’t have to b) needn’t have c) might have 4. You … be at the airport 2 hours ahead of time, otherwise you will have problems with registration. a) are to b) have to c) must 5. I … hear... [читать подробенее]
Exercises to the lead-in section and the text (Upstream Intermediate, pp.6 – 7) I. Use the dictionary and see the pictures on the next page to find out the differences between the following types of buildings. Get ready to explain them to the class: 1. a bungalow 2. a terraced house BrE / row house AmE 3. a semi-detached house BrE / duplex AmE 4. a detached house 5. a block of flats BrE / an apartment building AmE 6. a cottage 7. a ranch house II. Learn the pronunciation... [читать подробенее]
work n работа, труд manual (intellectual) work физический (умственный) труд to erase distinctions between manual and intellectual work стереть различия между физическим и умственным трудом Z zone n зона; пояс a time zone часовой пояс a climatic zone климатический пояс the Non-Black Earth Zone Нечерноземная... [читать подробенее]
C capacity n мощность annual capacity to have a capacity (with a capacity) of 2,000,000 kilowatts годовая производительность иметь мощность (мощностью) в 2 000 000 киловатт. (public) catering n общественное питание a catering institution/establishment предприятие общественного питания census n перепись населения to take... [читать подробенее]
She was sent to the neighbouring republic of Uzbekistan to continue her education. There, in Tashkent, under a decree signed by Lenin, the first state university in Central Asia had been opened in 1920. Tajibayeva joined its geological department. She was in Tashkent when the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945 broke out. She attended lectures in the morning and nursed the wounded in the hospitals at night. In 1943 Patchaim Tajibayeva graduated from the University with honours. She was thinking... [читать подробенее]
UNIT FIFTEEN THE SOVIET UNION TODAY Topics and Texts for Discussion* V. I. Lenin, the founder of the first socialist state. The Great October Socialist Revolution, a turning point in the history of mankind. The USSR, a voluntary union of free nations. The new Constitution of the USSR. Fundamental human rights guaranteed to Soviet citizens. The Soviet socialist way of life. Large-scale construction in the USSR. Contribution of Komsomol members to the economic development of the country. The... [читать подробенее]
Text 1. From the history of Belarus Additional texts for reading Exercises 1. Replace the following definitions by one word from text 3: – land along each side of a river or canal; – things, circumstances, surroundings, that make life easy or pleasant; – a part of a town or a country marked out for a special purpose; – to be shut in on all sides; – buildings and equipment of an institution, factory; – buildings where goods are made (esp. by... [читать подробенее]