Химия Answer the questions просмотров - 248
Answer the questions.
Match English word combinations with their Ukrainian equivalents.
1. a wide variety of substances
2. a highly corrosive and poisonous liquid
3. to take place at high temperatures
4. to be used mainly in laboratory
5. commercial production
а. промислове виробництво
b. велика різноманітність речовин
c. використовуватися головним чином в лабораторії
d. відбуватися при високих температурах
e. високоактивна і отруйна рідина
1. What kind of liquid is hydrochloric acid?
2. How is hydrochloric acid formed?
3. How much hydrogen chloride does commercial hydrochloric acid contain?
4. Where is hydrochloric acid used?
5. How is hydrogen chloride prepared?
We know a solution to be a uniform mixture of one substance in another. The material to be dissolved is the solute and the substance which does the dissolving is the solvent. The rate at which a substance may be dissolved can be controlled in several ways. The surface area, the agitation, and the temperature all are found to have an effect on the rate of solution. The ease with which a substance may be dissolved is known to be its solubility. The solubility of solid, liquid, or gaseous solutes is determined by a number of factors, such as the nature of the solvent, the nature of the solute, the temperature and the pressure. In a solution the solute cannot be separated from the solvent by filtration.
The concentration of solute in solution may vary from dilute (a small amount of solute relative to the solvent) to concentrated (a large amount of solute relative to the solvent). The most common of the solvents is known to be water. Among the organic compounds such materials as alcohol and benzene are commonly used solvents. Most organic compounds can be dissolved only in organic solvents.
|agitation - коливання mixture - суміш amount- кількість rate - швидкість benzene - бензол relative - відносний common- загальний solubility - розчинність||determine- визначати solute – розчинна речовина dilute – разбавляти solvent -розчинник dissolve - розчиняти surface - поверхня effect - вплив uniform- однаковий|
1. What is a solution?
2. What is a solute?
3. What is a solvent?
4. What has an effect on the rate of solution?
5. What is solubility?
6. What factors is the solubility determined by?
7. What is a dilute solution?
8. What is a concentrated solution?
9. Is water a solvent?
10. What commonly used solvents do you know?
2. Translate the following sentences:
1. Не proposed to use a new method of collecting data. 2. We had to return the books to the library because we were not allowed to borrow some new ones. 3. We were glad to see them. 4. He wanted the new method to be used in our laboratory. 5. This experiment was not difficult to be carried out in the students' laboratory. 6. We were proud to have been given prizes for our research. 7. Recently they have done a lot of work to investigate the effect concerned. 8. To carry out this experiment is very important. 9. To obtain these results a lot of work had to be done. 10. The experiment to be followed by a discussion was very interesting. 11. The material to be attacked by an acid was placed in a beaker. 12. His article to be referred to later was published last month. 13. D.I. Mendeleyev was the first to arrange the elements according to their atomic masses. 14. The element 101 was the first to have been given the name of a Russian chemist. 15. One of the first man-made elements to be obtained was polonium.
Dates Ordinal numbers Cardinal numbers Exercise 5. Write down the following in figures.1. twenty-five million seven hundred thirty-two thousand 2. ten million five hundred sixty-seven thousand five hundred fifty-two 3. two million one hundred fifty thousand one hundred thirty-one 4. one million six hundred eighty-two thousand twelve 5. one point three million 6. sixty-seven thousand and five 7. two hundred thousand ninety-five 8. forty-five... [читать подробенее]
1. Exercise 2. Have a look at the adverbs in bolt. Find them in the UNIT and guess their meaning. Read the quotations and translate them. Exercise 1. Find the Russian equivalent. 1. to indulge in 2. to prefer 3. to introduce 4. to expect 5. to proffer 6. to squeeze 7. to exchange 8. to gain A. расценивать B. выражать C. предлагать D. приобретать E. кричать F. следовать G. избегать H.... [читать подробенее]
Ex. 59. Complete the following sentences about the important moments in history using the Past Continuous form of the verbs in brackets. Ex. 58Read the story and rewrite it in the past tense. Ex.57 Using the Past Continuous tense, fill in the blanks with the correct forms of the verbs shown in brackets. Ex.56 Using the Past Continuous tense, fill in the blanks with the correct forms of the verbs shown in brackets. Then rewrite the following affirmative statements as questions... [читать подробенее]
Ex. 48. Explain the use of the Simple Past in the following sentences. The First TV Soap Opera Ex. 47. Put the verbs in brackets into the Past Simple. The first TV soap opera (a) ……….. (appear) on American television just after the Second World War. Its name (b) ………. (be) Faraway Hill and it (c) ……….. (begin) on the 2nd of October, 1946. A famous Broadway actress, Flora Campbell, (d) ………… (play) Karen St. John, a rich New York woman who (e) ……….... [читать подробенее]
EQUITY In a general sense equity means fairness. In English law, equity means that body of rules originally enforced only by the Court of Chancery. Equity has been described as “a gloss (meaning a supplement) on the common law”, filling in the gaps and making the English legal system more complete. Petitions from persons unable to obtain justice in the common law courts were sent to the King as “fountain of justice”. These petitions were sometimes examined by the King and Council... [читать подробенее]
Task 12. Fill in the blanks. Task 11. Guess the meaning of the international words using in the text. Task 10. Make up the questions. SUBMISSION SEAT 1) something to sitting on, e.g. a chair 2) a place where something is, or is located or based 3) a parliamentary constituency 4) membership in legislative body1) act of accepting the power or authority of another 2) legal theory, opinion presented to a judge or jury 3) the act of presenting something, e.g. a... [читать подробенее]
Task 10. Make up sentences using the following expressions. Judicial branch, according to, the highest tribunal, Chief Justice, to be appointed by, to be approved by, to alter, successful experience, to pass laws, to be authorized, principal duty, to be at stake. 1. What responsibility does the judicial branch have? 2. What kind of court is the judicial power vested in according to the Constitution? 3. Could you describe the Supreme Court of the USA? 4. What do you know about the... [читать подробенее]
Part two Discuss the following before you listen. You will hear an interview with Tim Rice, who wrote the lyrics for Part one The writerJesus Christ Superstar. It was first performed in the 1970s, but hasn’t been performed many times since. Andrew Lloyd Webber composed the music. a) What are some of the main events in the life of Jesus Christ? Who were some of the main characters in his life? b) Why do you think Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd... [читать подробенее]
Ex. 3. Read and translate the text. The Randolf sisters, Sadie and Esther, live just a block away from each other. Sadie constantly complains that the people in town are cold and unfriendly, while Esther finds them warm and pleasant. Although Sadie can’t see it, the difference is in the way they approach those people. Sadie and her husband have a lovely house. It’s filled with beautiful antique furniture and glassware that is so fragile it could easily be broken by a careless guest... [читать подробенее]
Discussion Ex. 1. Read and translate the text. Ex. 2.Work in pairs. Ex. 1. Answer the questions. Discussion 1. What are the three types of housing mentioned? 2. What is the ratio of houses to flats in Britain? 3. What has happened to home ownership in Britain? 4. What sort of people in the UK are most and least likely to own their houses? 5. Explain the following: sheltered housing, a mortgage, a slum area.1. What differences are there between housing in... [читать подробенее]