Химия Answer the questions просмотров - 236
|material – речовина property – властивість undergo –підлягати composition– склад condition – умова accompany –супроводжувати fundamental – фундаментальний important– важливий relationship – відношення||external- зовнішній equal – рівний among – серед origin – походження manufacture– виробництво century– століття sufficient– достатній create– створювати liquid – рідина|
1. What do you know about chemistry?
2. What does chemistry study?
3. What does chemistry deal with?
4. Why is chemistry one of the fundamental sciences?
5. When did sufficient facts about chemistry appear?
6. When did modern chemistry begin?
7. Who was the first to study quantitatively the relationship between the volume of a gas and external pressure upon it?
8. What did Lavoisier introduce?
9. Who discovered regularities in the properties of the elements?
2. Find the pairs of antonyms and remember them:
internal, to appear, natural, old, to disappear, artificial, new, external.
3. Find the pairs of synonyms:
to deal with, to change, to start, field, to be concerned with, branch, to begin.
4. Give the Past Simple of the verbs:
to learn, to deal with, to accompany, to create, to study, to change, to undergo, to place, to take, to begin, to contain, to make, to go, to be.
5. Translate the sentences paying attention to the different meanings of the word «matter»:
1. Mass is the quantity of matter in a special specimen. 2. Chemistry is a branch of science which deals with different substances or varieties of matter. 3. It is a matter of common observation that matter exists in three states. 4. Though this substance is of organic origin it is still a matter of some doubt whether it is of animal or vegetable origin. 5. No matter what results we get we shall continue our work. 6. Changes in matter can’t be without changes in energy. 7. Matter is that which makes up the universe, matter is the reality. 8. It is known that mass is a quantity of matter in sea water slowly increases. 9. Sea water contains approximately 3.6% of mineral matter in solution. 10. The forms of motion of matter are diverse.
6. Translate the words in the brackets into English:
1. Chemistry is the science which (розглядає) with materials and their properties. 2. We think that the exhibition of our achievements (відбудеться) at the end of September. 3. This scientist (зробив значний внесок) both in the chemistry, and physics. 4. All his life he worked in the field of chemistry, and we can say that he (присвятив) his life to science. 5. All the changes which (супроводжували) this reaction plays a very important role. 6. Later Lavoisier (увів) the concept of the chemical elements. 7. Though these two teams work under (однакові) conditions the results of their work are different. 8. This article (стосується) the development of our industry.
Dates Ordinal numbers Cardinal numbers Exercise 5. Write down the following in figures.1. twenty-five million seven hundred thirty-two thousand 2. ten million five hundred sixty-seven thousand five hundred fifty-two 3. two million one hundred fifty thousand one hundred thirty-one 4. one million six hundred eighty-two thousand twelve 5. one point three million 6. sixty-seven thousand and five 7. two hundred thousand ninety-five 8. forty-five... [читать подробенее]
1. Exercise 2. Have a look at the adverbs in bolt. Find them in the UNIT and guess their meaning. Read the quotations and translate them. Exercise 1. Find the Russian equivalent. 1. to indulge in 2. to prefer 3. to introduce 4. to expect 5. to proffer 6. to squeeze 7. to exchange 8. to gain A. расценивать B. выражать C. предлагать D. приобретать E. кричать F. следовать G. избегать H.... [читать подробенее]
Ex. 59. Complete the following sentences about the important moments in history using the Past Continuous form of the verbs in brackets. Ex. 58Read the story and rewrite it in the past tense. Ex.57 Using the Past Continuous tense, fill in the blanks with the correct forms of the verbs shown in brackets. Ex.56 Using the Past Continuous tense, fill in the blanks with the correct forms of the verbs shown in brackets. Then rewrite the following affirmative statements as questions... [читать подробенее]
Ex. 48. Explain the use of the Simple Past in the following sentences. The First TV Soap Opera Ex. 47. Put the verbs in brackets into the Past Simple. The first TV soap opera (a) ……….. (appear) on American television just after the Second World War. Its name (b) ………. (be) Faraway Hill and it (c) ……….. (begin) on the 2nd of October, 1946. A famous Broadway actress, Flora Campbell, (d) ………… (play) Karen St. John, a rich New York woman who (e) ……….... [читать подробенее]
EQUITY In a general sense equity means fairness. In English law, equity means that body of rules originally enforced only by the Court of Chancery. Equity has been described as “a gloss (meaning a supplement) on the common law”, filling in the gaps and making the English legal system more complete. Petitions from persons unable to obtain justice in the common law courts were sent to the King as “fountain of justice”. These petitions were sometimes examined by the King and Council... [читать подробенее]
Task 12. Fill in the blanks. Task 11. Guess the meaning of the international words using in the text. Task 10. Make up the questions. SUBMISSION SEAT 1) something to sitting on, e.g. a chair 2) a place where something is, or is located or based 3) a parliamentary constituency 4) membership in legislative body1) act of accepting the power or authority of another 2) legal theory, opinion presented to a judge or jury 3) the act of presenting something, e.g. a... [читать подробенее]
Task 10. Make up sentences using the following expressions. Judicial branch, according to, the highest tribunal, Chief Justice, to be appointed by, to be approved by, to alter, successful experience, to pass laws, to be authorized, principal duty, to be at stake. 1. What responsibility does the judicial branch have? 2. What kind of court is the judicial power vested in according to the Constitution? 3. Could you describe the Supreme Court of the USA? 4. What do you know about the... [читать подробенее]
Part two Discuss the following before you listen. You will hear an interview with Tim Rice, who wrote the lyrics for Part one The writerJesus Christ Superstar. It was first performed in the 1970s, but hasn’t been performed many times since. Andrew Lloyd Webber composed the music. a) What are some of the main events in the life of Jesus Christ? Who were some of the main characters in his life? b) Why do you think Tim Rice and Andrew Lloyd... [читать подробенее]
Ex. 3. Read and translate the text. The Randolf sisters, Sadie and Esther, live just a block away from each other. Sadie constantly complains that the people in town are cold and unfriendly, while Esther finds them warm and pleasant. Although Sadie can’t see it, the difference is in the way they approach those people. Sadie and her husband have a lovely house. It’s filled with beautiful antique furniture and glassware that is so fragile it could easily be broken by a careless guest... [читать подробенее]
Discussion Ex. 1. Read and translate the text. Ex. 2.Work in pairs. Ex. 1. Answer the questions. Discussion 1. What are the three types of housing mentioned? 2. What is the ratio of houses to flats in Britain? 3. What has happened to home ownership in Britain? 4. What sort of people in the UK are most and least likely to own their houses? 5. Explain the following: sheltered housing, a mortgage, a slum area.1. What differences are there between housing in... [читать подробенее]