География Answer the following questions просмотров - 113
Read and translate these dialogues. Answer the following questions
Translate the words and word combinations given in brackets
Say whether the following statements are true or false
1. Weather is the conditions of the atmosphere over a period of some years.
2. Deserts are commonly found where the climate is humid and not cold.
3. The position of the island in the temperate belt is one of the facts that determine the climate of Britain.
4. The British Isles are situated on the parallels on which Moscow and Minsk are situated.
5. Weather in Britain is characterized by sudden changes.
6. There is an abundance of sunshine in the west.
1. Geography is concerned with the classification of areas (в соответствии с климатом).
2. What is (средняя температура) here in spring?
3. (Атмосферное давление) was very high last week.
4. The climate of this region is (влажный).
5. The weather map shows how (температура, осадки, ветры и давление) are related in space.
6. The British Isles have (островной климат).
7. (Суровые морозы) are not rare in this part of the country.
1. What is the difference between weather and climate?
2. What facts suggest that climates have been constantly changing?
* * *
A: What nasty weather we are having this summer.
B: Yes, indeed. Is it often so cool and damp here as it is this summer?
A: I wouldn't say so. The climate here is rather healthy. The winters are not very cold and the summers are warm and dry.
B: By the way, what is the difference between weather and climate?
A: Well, I'll try to explain it. If we speak about "weather", we mean the conditions of the atmosphere at any given moment. Weather can be cloudy, sunny, damp, dry, warm, hot, cool, windy and so on. These conditions can be change frequently. "Climate" can be defined as the average weather over a long period of time.
* * *
A: Climates in the past haven't been as they are today, have they?
B: Certainly, not. There's much evidence that climates have been constantly changing. Coal and some other deposits in such northern regions as Greenland and Spitsbergen were certainly formed in hot climates.
On the other hand, in India, South Africa and Australia there are signs of former glacial conditions.
A: Do these facts suggest that continents have wandered?
В: If continents haven't, the poles have done so. That is to say, the positions of the North and South Poles and the Equator have been different at different times.
Why is climatology of particular interest to the geographers?
What are the conditions of the atmosphere which determine the area’s weather and climate?
What is weather? What is climate?
Give the classification of areas according to climate.
What climate have the British Isles?
What things determine the climate of the British Isles?
The weather in Britain changes very quickly, doesn’t it?
What hinders the cultivation of many species of plants?
Why is sheep-breeding developed in Britain?
Read and translate the dialogue. Reproduce it Translate into English Complete the following sentences Fill in the blanks with the suitable words from the text 1. ………. makes up only 0.02 per cent of the mass of the earth. 2. ………. is composed of materials much denser than those making up the crust. 3. The atmosphere, the hydrosphere and the lithosphere are the ………. layers of the earth. 4. The earth is not a true ……….... [читать подробенее]
Complete the following sentences Translate these sentences into English Reproduce the dialogue. Use the words and word combinations in brackets instead of given ones Look through the text and find English equivalents for the following word combinations -готовить специалистов -выполнять курсовые работы -курс обучения -различные регионы мира -принимать... [читать подробенее]
Read the texts and reproduce them in the form of a dialogue Complete the following sentences Say whether the following statements are true or false 1. Antarctica is larger than Europe and Australia. 2. Ninety per cent of the world’s ice is known to be concentrated on the North Pole. 3. The thickness of the ice cap has been measured to average about 800 feet. 4. There are many rivers in Antarctica. 5. Antarctica is devoid of plant and animal... [читать подробенее]
Task 14. Complete the sentences using the following word expressions from the box. Task 12. Match the English and Ukrainian equivalents. 1. be really matter 2. receive 3. resort 4. the armed forces 5. the dissolution 6. the heir a) oтримати b) спадкоємець c) військові сили d) мати значення e) розпуск f) звернення Task 13. Fill in the gaps with the appropriate prepositions: 1) The size of... [читать подробенее]
II. Give (he principal forms of the following verbs? to try; to lose; to shake; to break; to injure; to deny; to win; to pay; to testify; to grow III. Find in the text English equivalents for the following Russian phrases and sentences and use them in situations based on the text: вот, что я Вам скажу, мисс Каннингем...; за исключением некоторых подробностей; у него было такое чувство, что...; как... [читать подробенее]
Choose the necessary word and put it into the gap. Translate the following sentences into Russian paying attention to the words in bold type. a) 1. All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. 2. He's been out of work for a month but now he's found a very good job in New York. 3. A doctor, a teacher, a journalist, and an architect are very good professions. 4. He comes from a professional family. 5. He took up journalism as his career. 6. A job is something you... [читать подробенее]
VII. Choose the correct word VI. Choose the correct, most natural-sounding responses according to the context of the conversation You: Could I get another _____________, please? I'm a little cold. a). Coke b). blanket c). magazine Flight attendant: Certainly, sir. Would you like a pillow as well? You: No, thanks. But could you please bring me a ________________? a). Coke b). liquid c). soft Flight attendant: Sure, would you like ice in that? You: Yes, please...... [читать подробенее]
1. When do you usually go shopping? 2. Where do you go shopping? 3. What have you bought today in the way of food? 4. What have you recently bought in the way of manufactured goods? 5. What departments do you visit most often? 6. Are the shops crowded when you do your shopping? 7. What do you usually buy in the market? 8. What is the biggest Department Store in Kyiv (in your home town)? 9. What is your favourite shop / Department Store? Why? 10. Are you a spendaholic? What... [читать подробенее]
LISTENING Match each word from the text with its synonym. Fill in the words from the list below. Use each word only once. LANGUAGE DEVELOPMENTengine, steam, mechanical, external, combustion, vehicle, chemical 1. air-breathing ….. 2. internal ….. engine 3. original ….. engine 4. non combustive ….. reactions 5. useful ….. motion 6. engine-powered ….. 7. ….. combustion engine 1. fluid a) power 2. engine b) apparatus 3. energy c)... [читать подробенее]
UNIT 1 ПЕРЕДМОВА У наш час іноземна мова – важливий засіб міжнародного спілкування, і зараз українське суспільство відчуває потребу у фахівцях різних галузей, які активно володіли б іноземною мовою для розв’язання своїх професійних та особистих проблем. Це означає,... [читать подробенее]