Экология Functions просмотров - 80
The General Assembly may discuss any questions or any matters within the scope of the present Charter or relating to the powers and functions of any organs provided for in the present Charter, and may make recommendations to the Members of the United Nations or to the Security Council or to both on any such questions or matters.
Under the Charter, the functions and powers of the General Assembly include:
- to consider and make recommendations on cooperation in the maintenance of international peace and security, including disarmament and arms regulation;
- to discuss any question relating to international peace and security and, except where a dispute or situation is being discussed by the Security Council, to make recommendations on it;
- to discuss and, with the same exception, make recommendations on any question within the scope of the Charter or affecting the powers and functions of any organ of the United Nations;
- to initiate studies and make recommendations to promote international political cooperation, the development and codification of international law; the realization of human rights and fundamental freedoms for all, and international collaboration in economic, social, cultural, educational and health fields;
- to make recommendations for the peaceful settlement of any situation, regardless of origin, which might impair friendly relations among nations;
- to receive and consider reports from the Security Council and other United Nations organs;
- to consider and approve the United Nations budget and to apportion the contributions among Members;
- to elect the non-permanent members of the Security Council, the members of the Economic and Social Council and those members of the Trusteeship Council that are elected;
- to elect jointly with the Security Council the Judges of the International Court of Justice; and, on the recommendation of the Security Council, to appoint the Secretary-General.
- Under the "Uniting for peace" resolution adopted by the General Assembly in November 1950, the Assembly may take action if the Security Council, because of a lack of unanimity of its permanent members, fails to act in a case where there appears to be a threat to the peace, breach of the peace or act of aggression. The Assembly is empowered to consider the matter immediately with a view to making recommendations to Members for collective measures, including, in the case of a breach of the peace or act of aggression, the use of armed force when necessary to maintain or restore international peace and security.
V. Match the following proverbs in the left column with their Ukrainian equivalents in the right one. Define the functions of the infinitives. Make up situations using the proverbs and sayings. IV. Scan the passage in search of Infinitives. Comment on their functions. “He’s an articled clerk. He seems to know his job. He can’t get over the way our accounts are kept. He told me he never expected a theatre to be run on such businesslike lines. He says the way... [читать подробенее]
Find the correspondences to the following Ukrainian proverbs. Match the following proverbs in the left column with their halves in the right one. Comment on the use of the Participles in them. 1. Better die standing 2. It is ill 3. No living man 4. A fault confessed 5. Nothing is impossible 6. Something is rotten 7. Little said 8. A threatened blow 9. United we stand 10. A watched pot 11. Forewarned 12. Advice when most needed 13. Better be... [читать подробенее]
Give English equivalents to the following Ukrainian proverbs. Using them make up situations in pairs. Match the following proverbs in the left column with their halves in the right one. Comment on the use of the Gerunds. 1. Between two evils 2. By doing nothing 3. Saying and doing 4. It goes 5. It is good fishing 6. It is no use 7. Gossiping and lying 8. Doing is better 9. What is worth doing 10. To make an omelette 11. Appetite comes 12. He who... [читать подробенее]
Directors of Public Prosecutions The office of the Director of Public Prosecutions is governed by the Prosecution of Offences Act, 1985. The Director must be a barrister or solicitor of at least ten years’ standing. This is an official appointment by the Attorney General with responsibility for the Crown Prosecution Service. This service, set up under the 1985 Act, is staffed by barristers and solicitors, certain of whom are designated Crown Prosecutors and Chief Crown Prosecutors (who... [читать подробенее]
III. Fill the gaps with the prepositions from the box. II. Define the Participial Complexes. I. Define the functions of the Participles. Grammar Focus1. She felt completely reassured. 2. She was both comforted and relieved. 3. One bristling eyebrow raised. 4. Not a thing to worry about, my dear, he said, turning on his usual smile. 5. Not a trace of pleurisy left. 6. Judging by the tan, you have been doing all that. 7. He towered over her, exuding... [читать подробенее]
III. Fill in the gaps with the prepositions from the box. II. Change the sentences using Gerundial complexes. I. Define the functions of the Gerund Translate into English 1. Яка мета вашого візиту? 2. Не бігайте околяса, переходьте зразу до суті справи. 3. Вони не сподівалися, що прийдуть до згоди по всім пунктам. 4. Коли дійшло до... [читать подробенее]
The gerund and the infinitive With a number of verbs and word-groups both the gerund and the infinitive may be used. The most important of them are: to be afraid, to begin, to cease, to continue, can (cannot) afford, to dread, to fear, to forget, to hate, to intend, to like (dislike), to neglect, to prefer, to propose, to remember, to recollect, to start, to stop. The young man began turning over the pages of a book. (Priestley) At length she began to speak softly. (Eliot) She... [читать подробенее]
Communicative structure of the sentence. Communicative structure of the sentence refers to the way the speaker structures the information, the way he identifies the relative importance of utterance parts. Usually the utterance consists of 2 parts: - the topic of discussion: something about which a statement is made (theme = topic) - the new information, which adds most to the process of communication (rheme = comment). Some sentences contain only the rheme, they are... [читать подробенее]
1) nominative phraseological units are represented by word-groups, including the ones with one meaningful word and coordinative phrases of the type wear and tear, well and good. This class also oncludes word-groups with a predicative structure as the crow flies, predicative phrases as see how the land lies, ships that pass in the night 2) nominative-communicative phraseological units include word-groups of the type to break the ice –the ice is broken, that is, verbal word-groups which are... [читать подробенее]
Функции инфинитива в предложении. THE INFINITIVE ИНФИНИТИВ NON-FINITE FORMS OF THE VERB НЕЛИЧНЫЕ ФОРМЫ ГЛАГОЛА EXERCISES Exercise 1. Read and translate the sentences. Comment on the meanings of the verb would. 1. He had a wound that wouldn’t heal. 2. The boy said he wouldn’t eat up his porridge. 3. Jessica cried that she wouldn’t go to bed without her teddy bear. 4. He would say over... [читать подробенее]