Биология Exercises просмотров - 357
1. Complete the sentences with the verb in the correct form: Present Simple, Future Simple Tenses.
Watch tadpoles grow
16) If you look in a pond, you ..... (see) in a shallow water great lumps of jelly. That ..... (be) frog's spawn. Mother frog ..... (lay) up to 800 eggs. Don't think she ..... ( take) care of them. She ...... ( leave) them, floating on the surface to look after themselves as soon as the eggs are laid. Then in a few days if you look at an egg you ..... ( notice) a black spot, at first about the size of a pin-head, soon beginning to grow bigger and become shaped like a bean. Then you ..... ( begin) to recognise which is its head and which is its tail. It .... (wriggle) about in the jelly and free itself from it. For a few days the baby tadpole ..... ( han) about on the jelly. It ..... (need) no food at this time; it ..... (have) not even a mouth, yet. But you ..... ( see) soon how it begins to wriggle its tail. Let us look at it in three days. ..... it (change)? Yes, it ..... It ...... ( begin) to swim around and nibble at the plants. It ..... ( not feed) on jelly any more. The tadpoles ..... (grow) larger very quickly. At first they ..... ( have) feathery gills on the sides of their heads, but after three weeks the gills ..... (disappear). Their eyes ...... (grow) larger and their colour ..... ( become) lighter.
What ...... these signs (tell) you? They ...... ( tell) you that now, when they are about six weeks old, they ..... (need) a "meat" diet. When the tadpoles are ready for it they ..... ( come) close to tiny worms and nibble at them. Soon you ..... ( see) a great change come over the tadpoles. First back legs, then front legs ..... (grow). They ..... (start) to come to the surface for air, because they ..... (breathe) now with lungs. The tails ..... (become) shorter and after ten to twelve weeks the tadpoles ..... (turn) into frogs.
Complete the sentences with the verb in the correct form: Future Simple, Future Continuous, Future Perfect Tenses.
1) We ………( study) ethology in the next semester.
2) In several million years Red Sea ………. (become) a new ocean.
3) Dumping of creosote into the river led to extinction of all species of fish. Our team ……….. (conduct) an intense study on reintroduction of different species of fish.
4) There’s an epidemic among insects this year so many chicks of insect eating birds ……. (die).
5) Tomorrow we ………( dissect) frog’s leg to study femoral nerves.
6) The next meeting ……...(be) on next Wednesday at 4 pm.
7) The robins have finished building the nest and now the female bird ……..(lay) eggs.
8) I …….. (write) the plan by the end of the week.
9) British oil company promised to stop the oil leakage by July. But by this time the catastrophe ………(cover) the entire Mexican bay.
10) The forest on the part of the slope has been burned down. The soil must be strengthened by the 15-th of this month because by then rains ……… (start) and it will be washed away.
11) We ………….. (monitor) the ecosystem of the swamp for three years by the end of this May.
12) The number of lemmings …………(increase) for two years after present decline.
13) Astronauts who will take off tomorrow ……….. (stay) on the space station for 4 months. During this time they ………….. (conduct) many experiments.
14) When the answer from the ministry comes I ……….. (dig) out the bones of dinosaurs in the Gobi desert.
15) Grizzly bears ………. (fish) on the rifts during salmon spawning period. They ………(eat) fish and spawn while they have the opportunity.
1. Put in a\an or the where necessary. ..…Britain, in which ... fifty million people live and work, is,.. land of... great variety. There are many large cities, but they are surrounded with ... quiet countryside. There are ... plains in ... east, hills in... center and south-west, and ... mountains in ... north. Some parts of ... country are almost without ... trees while others have ... great forests, ... south is ... land of... rivers, but Scotland is... land of ... lakes. One of ...... [читать подробенее]
1. Complete the sentences with the verb in the correct form: Present Simple, Present Perfect, Past Simple Tense. INTERFERON Virus diseases …..( plague) mankind for thousands of years, but, until recently, no medical treatment for them …..( be) available. Although the use of vaccines almost …..(eliminate) several major viral diseases, such as polio and smallpox, medical research …..( provide) no means for treating virus diseases already established in the body. No drugs …..( be)... [читать подробенее]
Exercise 296. Choose the appropriate variant. 1. … get up after the operation yet? a) Is he allowed to b) Can he c) Might he 2. The trip by train lasted for a week! They … exhausted by now! a) had better b) can c) must 3. Percy … watered my cyclamen, look, it’s dying. a) didn’t have to b) needn’t have c) might have 4. You … be at the airport 2 hours ahead of time, otherwise you will have problems with registration. a) are to b) have to c) must 5. I … hear... [читать подробенее]
Exercises to the lead-in section and the text (Upstream Intermediate, pp.6 – 7) I. Use the dictionary and see the pictures on the next page to find out the differences between the following types of buildings. Get ready to explain them to the class: 1. a bungalow 2. a terraced house BrE / row house AmE 3. a semi-detached house BrE / duplex AmE 4. a detached house 5. a block of flats BrE / an apartment building AmE 6. a cottage 7. a ranch house II. Learn the pronunciation... [читать подробенее]
work n работа, труд manual (intellectual) work физический (умственный) труд to erase distinctions between manual and intellectual work стереть различия между физическим и умственным трудом Z zone n зона; пояс a time zone часовой пояс a climatic zone климатический пояс the Non-Black Earth Zone Нечерноземная... [читать подробенее]
C capacity n мощность annual capacity to have a capacity (with a capacity) of 2,000,000 kilowatts годовая производительность иметь мощность (мощностью) в 2 000 000 киловатт. (public) catering n общественное питание a catering institution/establishment предприятие общественного питания census n перепись населения to take... [читать подробенее]
She was sent to the neighbouring republic of Uzbekistan to continue her education. There, in Tashkent, under a decree signed by Lenin, the first state university in Central Asia had been opened in 1920. Tajibayeva joined its geological department. She was in Tashkent when the Great Patriotic War of 1941-1945 broke out. She attended lectures in the morning and nursed the wounded in the hospitals at night. In 1943 Patchaim Tajibayeva graduated from the University with honours. She was thinking... [читать подробенее]
UNIT FIFTEEN THE SOVIET UNION TODAY Topics and Texts for Discussion* V. I. Lenin, the founder of the first socialist state. The Great October Socialist Revolution, a turning point in the history of mankind. The USSR, a voluntary union of free nations. The new Constitution of the USSR. Fundamental human rights guaranteed to Soviet citizens. The Soviet socialist way of life. Large-scale construction in the USSR. Contribution of Komsomol members to the economic development of the country. The... [читать подробенее]
Text 1. From the history of Belarus Additional texts for reading Exercises 1. Replace the following definitions by one word from text 3: – land along each side of a river or canal; – things, circumstances, surroundings, that make life easy or pleasant; – a part of a town or a country marked out for a special purpose; – to be shut in on all sides; – buildings and equipment of an institution, factory; – buildings where goods are made (esp. by... [читать подробенее]
Text 1. From the history of Britain Additional texts for reading Speak about London. Use the information from text 2 as a help to your topic. Exercises 1. Answer the questions on the text: 1. Where is London situated? 2. What parts does London consist of? What are they? 3. What is the City? What buildings is it famous for? 4. What is Westminster? What places of interest does it include? 5. What is Westminster Abbey famous for? 6. What is the richest... [читать подробенее]